Communications Manager (Job Number: 581910)
No matter what your job title, the work you do at Kaiser Permanente supports the health and well-being of the millions of men, women, and children who turn to us for care. That`s because all of us-from our talented corporate and business professionals to our care delivery experts who meet the needs of our members every day-are committed to providing the best possible care experience. With locations across the United States, we offer the opportunity to build a rewarding career in an environment that supports your success. Join us and put your beliefs into practice.
Responsible for providing complex communications consultation, communications planning, implementation and recommended solutions for multiple Kaiser Permanente Institute for Health Policy (IHP) programs and projects (targeting both internal and external audiences) to meet organizational brand and reputation goals. As part of the Kaiser Permanente national Government Relations department (GR), IHP supports a public policy environment that promotes health and accessible high-quality care for our members and the communities we serve. IHP supports Kaiser Permanente’s strategic goals by partnering with key internal and external stakeholders to inform and influence the public policy discourse in both short-term and long-term health policy priority areas.
Under the overall general guidance of IHP’s Vice President and Senior Director, responsibilities include: the creation, implementation, and oversight of communications programs, be it internal or external, that effectively describe and promote Kaiser Permanente as well as IHP and our products; creation and development of print and online promotional information, email marketing, web site management and content development, press releases, bylined articles, white papers, videos, podcasts, and marketing collateral, RFP review and development, marketing budget development and cost tracking; aid in the preparation of presentations and/or speeches geared toward internal or external audiences; provides supervision and direction to staff and works in conjunction with the larger GR and/or Communications departments.
• Develop and implement communications plans and tactics to fulfill the strategic and operational goals and objectives of the overall communication program developed by the communications director and/or vice president in order to support the client's objectives and deliver, promote and protect the organization's brand and reputation.
• Lead project or ongoing teams for the purpose of implementing specific communications projects, events, or programs within a given timeframe; strengthening the client relationship; or ensuring high quality. May have direct reports and/or supervise outside vendors.
• Serve as backup to communications director or other leader.
• Develop integrated (internal and external) communication plans for the national functional area strategies, programs, and initiatives, including communications positioning, messaging, and tactics consistent with the Kaiser Permanente brand.
• Provide communications consulting to senior-level clients (SVPs and VPs) on internal and external communications. Consulting activity will vary from verbal communications or advice on communications issues to providing customized communications plans and materials.
• Strategize with client, write communication plans and creative briefs, research and analyze information, write articles, prepare presentations (PowerPoint presentations, speeches and talking points), plan logistics, and manage overall coordination.
• Collaborate and integrate with peers in Brand Strategy, Communications, and Public Relations, including media relations and PR staff, internal communicators, and regional communications staff, to successfully fulfill the communications and brand objectives in the assigned national function.
• Ensure content is consistent with the Kaiser Permanente brand in terms of look, tone, manner, and messaging.
• Manage and complete multiple assignments in short time frames and coordinate diverse projects and activities into a cohesive and strategic program.
• Implement measures to determine effectiveness of communications programs and create plans to improve results.
• Bring thorough understanding of Kaiser Permanente's integrated delivery model, organizational structure, mission, and complex communications organization to bear in support of key strategic initiatives and leadership clients.
Primary Location: California-Oakland-Ordway One Kaiser Plaza
Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40 Shift: Day Working Days: Mon - Fri Working Hours Start: 8:00AM Working Hours End: 5:00PM
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular Employee Group (Union Affiliation): Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level: Manager with Direct Reports
Job: External Affairs / Relations Public Department Name: Government Relations
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time Job Eligible for Benefits: Yes
• Minimum ten (10) years of experience in corporate communications environment, including two (2) years of supervisory and/or major project leadership experience.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, public relations, business administration or related field.
License, Certification, Registration
• Experience within the last three (3) years planning and implementing complex internal communications plans and projects for a large, complex organization, with track record of increasing responsibility.
• Demonstrated experience on cross-functional, integrated (internal/external) efforts.
• Proven experience with organizational change, corporate reputation management, internal brand reinforcement, and stakeholder engagement.
• Professional-level writing and editing skills for Web and traditional media.
• Demonstrated excellence in directly supporting senior executives in large organizations and influencing their approach to communications while nurturing the relationship.
• Demonstrated excellence in working collaboratively in a team setting.
• Able to respond to emerging issues and crises.
• Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
• Master's degree preferred.
• Background in public policy, health care and/or public health.
• Understanding of State and Federal health policy news and information channels.
• Understanding of government affairs context and ability to manage sensitive content.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
• Knowledge of stakeholder management software, ability to leverage tools as part of integrated communications strategy.
• Experience with Microsoft Office 360, Sharepoint, and WebEx.
• Experience managing and overseeing external relationships in the creation and/or promotion of content (grantees, contracts, informal relationships).
• Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills, including the ability to present concepts verbally.
• Creative and committed to communications innovation, bringing fresh ideas to reaching key audiences (i.e. podcasts and other non-written communication tools).
• Experience overseeing editorial and approval processes in a complex organizational environment.
• Ability to solve problems creatively and execute action plans independently.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment and act on behalf of IHP leadership.
• Commitment to integrity and full compliance with the letter and spirit of all organizational policies and legal requirements.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.