SR AccountantCategory: Senior Staff
Foundation/Organization: California Wellness Foundation
Location: Los Angeles
Date Posted: 11/27/2017
Closing Date: 11/27/2018
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Department: Finance & Accounting
Reports to: Controller/Director of Finance
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt Staff
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Effective Date: October 2017
The senior accountant is a key position in the finance department. The senior accountant prepares a variety of monthly and annual account analysis, reconciliations and journal entries including accounting for investment related activity. The position will conduct financial review of recommended and active grants to ensure the achievement of the Foundation’s mission and goals. The senior accountant also administers payroll, 401(k) related payroll deductions and withholdings and other employee benefits; and assists with the preparation of reports and regulatory filings.
The ideal candidate will be a well-rounded professional with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. He or she will bring the knowledge and experience necessary to hit the ground running on a variety of complex (and interesting!) accounting projects. The ideal candidate will have the ability to interact with all levels of staff, external consultants, vendors and professional networks. They will possess a high level of flexibility and responsiveness with the ability to shift priorities quickly and as organizational demands require. And they will have the ability to take initiative and develop solutions quickly and effectively.
The ideal candidate will be driven to sustain the mission, culture and best interests of the Foundation, and must have an interest in philanthropy and the Foundation’s mission and operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares monthly and annual reconciliations, analysis, reports and journal entries for investment accounts and verifies all fund transfers between investment accounts are properly executed and recorded.
- Reviews investment manager reports/statements for propriety and reconcile data to custodian reports. This includes monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Resolves issues with custodian bank and/or investment manager.
- Prepares monthly and annual reconciliations, analysis, reports and journal entries of all grants data and reconciles to the grants management data base.
- Conducts semi-annual file audits of expenditure responsibility grants; interacts closely with program assistants to ensure all progress reports are received properly and that grant expenses are within appropriate range.
- Prepares pre-grant financial due diligence reviews in accordance with Foundation policy.
- Oversees the Foundation’s fixed assets and prepares monthly journal entry for depreciation; prepares and files periodic regulatory filings related to property tax exemption.
- Prepares bank reconciliations for general operating and grant bank accounts.
- Prepares monthly and annual reconciliations and journal entries for a variety of other asset and other liability accounts.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual 990PF.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget and quarterly forecasts.
- Prepares management, audit, tax and regulatory filings schedules, mailings and reports.
- Prepares schedules and participates in annual audit. Interfaces with external auditors during the audit process, preparing all materials and answering questions as applicable.
- Provides back up for accounts payable and expense reporting as needed.
- Has primary duty to process bi-weekly payroll and 401(k) contributions, including, but not limited to, coding, verifying, auditing all earnings and deductions, and maintaining payroll documentation and records in accordance with Foundation policies, procedures and Federal and State regulations.
- Works closely with human resources to ensure all new hires, terminations and adjustments processed accurately.
- Communicates with all external vendors related to payroll. Serves as the primary contact with TriNet on all payroll related matters.
- Prepares bi-weekly account analysis, reconciliations and all payroll journal entries.
- Prepares quarterly payroll reconciliation.
- Requests and records payroll, 401(k) funding and other wires.
- Prepares and reconciles files and reports related to the 401(k) yearly census and other filings.
- Provides training, information, and assistance to staff on Foundation accounting policies and procedures on payroll and attendance matters.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, or equivalent experience, is required.
- 5 – 10 years general accounting experience, preferably in a philanthropic or nonprofit organization.
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, general ledger and financial analysis.
- Payroll administration experience. Detailed knowledge of federal and state regulations related to wage and hour law, taxable earnings and benefits.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL or other accounting-related software systems.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office. Advanced knowledge of Excel (formulas, v-lookups, pivot tables, charts, etc).
- Strong logic, analytical, problem solving, and conceptual thinking skills with a solid understanding of financial data management.
- Strong planning, organization, project management, workflow analysis, multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
- High attention to detail, accuracy, protocol and deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
The California Wellness Foundation (Cal Wellness) is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to improve the health of the people of California by making grants for health promotion, wellness education and disease prevention. One of the largest health-focused foundations in California, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees, public policy grantmaking and focus on violence as a public health issue. It’s Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs, healthy and safe neighborhoods, and quality health care services. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $991 million. In 2017, the foundation is celebrating its 25th anniversary. To learn, visit our website at www.CalWellness.org.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience. Highlights from our benefit package include: a variety of health plans, a generous 401(k) retirement savings plan, paid time off, professional development and educational opportunities, matching gifts, and the opportunity to work at a mission and values driven organization.
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and duties may differ from those as outlined above.
For more information, contact: