Entomologist or Biologist - 931Category: Program Staff
Foundation/Organization: CDC Foundation
Location: Atlanta, GA
Date Posted: 02/09/2018
Closing Date: 03/02/2018
The CDC Foundation helps the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) save and improve lives by unleashing the power of collaboration between CDC, philanthropies, corporations, organizations and individuals to protect the health, safety and security of America and the world. The CDC Foundation is the sole entity authorized by Congress to mobilize philanthropic partners and private-sector resources to support CDC’s critical health protection mission. Since 1995, the CDC Foundation has launched approximately 1,000 programs and raised over $740 million. The CDC Foundation managed over 300 CDC-led programs in the United States and in more than 130 countries last year.
The CDC Foundation seeks candidates for a full time Entomologist or Biologist position to support the BEI Resources Vector Group and the Malaria Research and Reference Reagent Resource Center (MR4) Vector Activity. The Entomologist or Biologist will assist in the culture of medically important vectors, perform molecular and morphological authentication of these stocks, and assist in preparing and distributing living and preserved specimens to registered users. A high premium is placed on persons who are responsible, communicate clearly, and can manage their time and effort to ensure high quality materials are produced. This position is full time (works 40 hours a week) and requires occasional part-time weekend and holiday work. The Entomologist or Biologist will be hired by the CDC Foundation and assigned to the Entomology Branch at the Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria housed within the Center for Global Health (CGH) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia. This is a term-limited 1 year contract position, with the possibility to extend past the initial term.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with the nation’s lead agency charged with protecting the public's health. The CDC Foundation offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits package. This is a CDC Foundation position that will work directly with CDC and most likely to be placed at a CDC location.
- Apply molecular techniques in handling and rearing of insects
- Perform bioassays as well as molecular and morphological authentication of mosquito stock
- Assist in preparing and distributing mosquitoes to collaborators
- Plan and manage time and effort to ensure high quality materials are produced
- Make efficient judgments regarding priorities and be largely self-directed
To apply: Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and two references (in Microsoft Word or PDF format) to: FEapply@cdcfoundation.org. Please put “Entomologist or Biologist – 931” in the email subject line. Incomplete packages will not be considered. Hard copies, calls, faxes, personally delivered resumes or resumes sent through any other source other than directly to the FEapply@cdcfoundation.org email address will not be accepted. Resumes will be accepted through March 2, 2018.
When applying at the above mentioned email address, the auto-reply message will contain a Pre-Offer Voluntary Self-Identification Form. In an effort to comply with requirements regarding government recordkeeping, reporting, and other legal obligations, which may apply, we invite you to complete this applicant data survey. Although this information is voluntary we hope you choose to complete it in order to help us fulfill our requirements. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. See further details on form.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status, and all other characteristics protected by law.
We comply with all applicable laws including E.O. 11246 and the Vietnam Era Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 governing employment practices and do not discriminate on the basis of any unlawful criteria in accordance with 41 C.F.R. §§ 60-300.5(a)(12) and 60-741.5(a)(7). As a federal government contractor, we take affirmative action on behalf of protected veterans.
The CDC Foundation is a smoke-free environment.
Relocation expenses are not included.
- B.S. degree in entomology, biology, public health or related science field (or minimum two years equivalent experience)
- Candidates with laboratory experience in molecular techniques or the handling and rearing of insects are preferred.
- Proven ability to compile and analyze lab data
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills
- Proficient use of different computer programs (Microsoft office and lab analysis software)
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success as a team player
- Ability to interact with individuals from a variety of disciplines and backgrounds
- Highly capable of tracking, summarizing and reporting lab activities
- Experience in performing laboratory maintenance activities