Administrative & Financial AssistantCategory: Administrative Staff
Foundation/Organization: The Horizon Foundation
Location: Columbia, MD
Date Posted: 01/17/2017
Type: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Supervisor: Chief Administrative Officer
The Horizon Foundation is an independent philanthropy dedicated to improving the health and wellness of people living or working in Howard County, Maryland. We work closely with community partners to catalyze change through strategic grantmaking, targeted initiatives and public policy designed to achieve the greatest impact. Our work is guided by priorities set in our strategic plan, which is based on assessments of community needs and opportunities to create tangible, measurable results. Our two key priorities include promoting healthy lifestyles and increasing access to care.
- Provide administrative support to the Foundation President and staff.
- Interact with Trustees and external executives to coordinate a variety of complex meetings.
- Provide liaison with Board of Trustees regarding meetings, attendance and other issues.
- Maintain Access database for Trustee contact information and generate custom reports and materials.
- Assemble and prepare material for electronic Board and Committee packets and maintain historical files of Board and Committee meetings.
- Post documents, calendar items and other communications to a groupsite platform.
- Identify optimum meeting dates and manage all logistics for group meetings including room set up, food ordering, presentation system, material preparation and follow up.
- Oversee the scheduling and management of in-house meeting space used by community groups.
- Provide logistical support for meetings off site. Locate venues and arrange for food service.
- Prepare documents, reports and charts using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access or Adobe Acrobat; modify existing and develop new formats as needed.
- Assist with special projects to support programs or initiatives as needed.
- Support the Chief Administrative Officer in all areas.
- Assist with accounts payable; review invoices, research problems and discrepancies, file back-up and track payments.
- Facilitate preparation of annual budget by analyzing spending trends and prior year purchases.
- Prepare quarterly budget reports in Excel, project expenses and analyze information.
- Assist with annual audit; prepare reports, assemble documents as needed for field work.
- Oversee staff time sheets and maintain PTO records; prepare reports quarterly.
- Manage RFP process for various services.
- Enter payment data, upload documents, create forms and generate reports to the online grants management system.
- Serve as Petty Cash custodian, keeping adequate records.
- Conduct special administrative projects as requested.
- Oversee reception area, mail, kitchen, supplies and general facilities.
- Implement existing and recommend new office procedures to enhance operations.
- Operate standard office equipment, serve as key operator, troubleshoot and resolve problems with vendors.
- Provide technical assistance and training on computer software and office equipment.
- Set up and maintain institutional files and undertake annual archiving.
- Perform other job functions and duties as needed.
- Five years of experience in office administration and financial management (preferably, with a nonprofit or foundation)
- Bachelor's degree.
- Proven analytical, logical, and decision making skills.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines, track multiple projects in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Computer aptitude and experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Access, Adobe Acrobat and Quickbooks or other accounting software.
- High energy, maturity and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships.
- Maintain confidentiality with diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to interact on a professional level to sustain the mission, culture and best interests of the Foundation.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and reference the job title in the subject line.
The Horizon Foundation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, religion, or national origin.
For more information: