Dental Opportunities Champion - Part TimeCategory: Program Staff
Foundation/Organization: Virginia Health Care Foundation
Location: Richmond, VA
Date Posted: 04/07/2017
To help expand availability of affordable dental care for uninsured and underserved Virginians by identifying, soliciting, coordinating and advocating for an array of opportunities that would benefit the growing number of nonprofit community-based dental programs in Virginia (the dental safety net), which serve the uninsured and medically underserved.
Nurture and grow existing initiatives - VHCF has created an array of initiatives to help dental safety net providers address the oral health needs of their communities’ uninsured and underserved. A primary responsibility of the Dental Opportunities Champion (DOC) is to nurture and grow these programs to maximize their potential. These initiatives include:
- A unique discount purchasing program with Patterson Dental Company.
- A special denture discount program using innovative “one step” or “single visit” dentures.
- An initiative to engage with the Virginia Dental Association to increase the number of Mission of Mercy (MOM) projects each year in Virginia.
Training and technical assistance - The DOC is also responsible for training and technical assistance for dental safety net providers to help them achieve sustainability, expand capacity, and improve the quality of operations. Ongoing activities include:
- Convene and staff semi-annual “Tooth Talk” meetings of the dental safety net leaders and staff to share and distribute helpful information, provide for networking, and identify and act on initiatives to address mutual needs and interests.
- Staff and grow the “Tooth Talk” listserv for Virginia’s dental safety net providers.
- Work with VHCF’s Health Safety Net Program Officers to help develop new dental safety net clinics and train existing ones to maximize the number of patients treated.
- Ensure the oral health related content on VHCF’s website is up-to-date, and rich in content.
In an ever-changing environment, the DOC also stays on top of key oral health studies, happenings, and initiatives and shares them with the dental safety net.
New Initiatives –The DOC is responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing new initiatives to address the oral health needs of uninsured and underserved Virginians. The Dental Opportunities Champion will identify new partners, and work with existing ones (Delta Dental of Virginia, Virginia Dental Association, VCU School of Dentistry, Denta Quest, Virginia Association of Free Clinics, Virginia Department of Health, Virginia Community Healthcare Association, Virginia Oral Health Coalition, and Patterson Dental), to explore and develop initiatives.
New initiatives scheduled this year include:
- Stimulating the creation of dental safety clinics in Virginia localities without one in conjunction with the VHCF team.
- Promoting oral health integration in the dental and health safety net practices in conjunction with VHCF Health Safety Net Program Officers.
- Convene and staff a Denture Advisory Board to monitor and promote utilization of single visit alternative denture in Virginia and to identify innovative models to help dental safety net patients save or pay for dentures.
- Explore ways to ensure an adequate supply of dentists for the dental safety net and in dental professional shortage areas.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Additional education preferred.
- Some knowledge of dental practice and/or experience working with dentists.
- Proven record of successfully organizing and coordinating programs or activities involving multiple partners and multiple responsibilities.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and approach and proven record of taking initiative.
- Good people skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Enthusiasm and good sense of humor.
The position is 24 hours/week, with competitive compensation that is commensurate with experience.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Virginia Health Care Foundation
707 E. Main Street, Suite 1350
Richmond, VA 23219
For more information, contact: