Program Officer, Public and Patient Engagement
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Department: Engagement, Public, and Patient Engagement
Reports to: Associate Director, Public Engagement
Under the direction of the Associate Director, Public Engagement, the Program Officer is responsible for strategic decision-making and high-level management of stakeholder engagement program activities that advance PCORI’s Engagement mission. The primary responsibilities include providing intellectual and organizational leadership in designing and facilitating presentations for various stakeholder groups; reviewing, awarding and managing a portfolio of Engagement Awards in consultation with the Engagement Awards team; and evaluating program activities and award portfolio based on the strategic direction of the program. Additional areas of focus include translating data into meaningful information for an end-user audience by developing documentary support for Engagement Officers to use in the field.
For the purposes of this job description, engagement is defined as broad involvement of patients, family and caregivers, clinicians, payers, employers, and other members of the public as members of interdisciplinary research teams participating in the planning, conduct, and dissemination of clinical research.
You can view the full job description and apply here.
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills; collegial, energetic, able to develop productive relationships with colleagues, awardees, consultants, external funders, and others who contribute to program development and management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public presentations. Experience in the development of tools and guidance to support engagement desired.
- Close knowledge of one or more key PCORI stakeholder groups, e.g. purchaser/employer groups, payers, clinician groups, etc.
- Experience in leading and managing stakeholder workshops and meetings.
- Ability to work independently and to manage projects and people
- Ability to travel, as required, including site visits and representing PCORI at external meetings
- Understanding of the research process from generating a research question to dissemination
- Broad knowledge and appreciation of patient-centeredness and patient/stakeholder engagement practices
- Broad knowledge in health policy, healthcare systems organization and structures and payment policies
- Master’s degree in a health related area (e.g., MPH, MPA, MPP, MSN; or MBA) preferred
- Familiarity with Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Experience with management of grant or contract awards that include community or patient engagement highly desirable.
- 7+ years’ progressive experience and demonstrated success in stakeholder representation, coalition-building, grassroots organizing or policy in health related sectors.
- Training or extensive experience in communication with multiple and diverse communities.
- Experience and interest in use of social/digital media and other innovative approaches to outreach, communication and stakeholder surveys e.g., webinars, videos, etc.
- Experience and interest in use of electronic methods to compile and synthesize stakeholder data.
- Experience working with governing boards and committees.
- Familiarity with evaluation and research methods, budgeting, Excel and Salesforce highly desirable.
For more information, contact: