Public Health Communications InternCategory: Administrative Staff
Foundation/Organization: New York State Health Foundation
Location: New York, New York
Date Posted: 02/13/2018
Closing Date: 05/31/2018
The New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) seeks a graduate-level Public Health Communications Intern to handle website content development and maintenance and special communications projects.
The New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) is a private foundation dedicated to improving the health of all New Yorkers, especially the most vulnerable. NYSHealth began operations in 2006; today, it has approximately $300 million in assets, a $15 million annual grants and operations budget, and a staff of 22.
To achieve meaningful impact, the Foundation makes grants, informs health care policy and practice, and spreads effective programs that work to improve New York’s health system. Most of the Foundation’s grantmaking is focused on two priority areas: building healthy communities and empowering health care consumers. It also engages in responsive grantmaking through its special projects fund and maintains a special interest in veterans’ health.
The Public Health Communications Intern will work closely with the Communications Department. S/he will take the lead on projects related to the Foundation’s website and other communication mediums; act as day-to-day liaison for management of the website; and help manage the Foundation’s archives. The internship is a part-time position with flexible hours (12–15 hours per week), beginning in June 2018 and with the possibility of extending through the 2018–19 academic year. Compensation is $15 per hour.
Specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Assist with managing all aspects of the NYSHealth website:
- Draft and post content as directed
- Conduct research and draft descriptions for events, news items, grantee profiles, and resources
- Perform day-to-day fixes as requested
- Monitor website daily for problems/inconsistencies
- Manage publication process of grant outcome reports:
- Copy edit draft reports
- Act as liaison with NYSHealth staff members
- Post final reports on website
- Assist with planning and organizing the Foundation’s events, conferences, and other convenings
- Monitor and compile news clips pertaining to NYSHealth or its grantees
- Update and maintain contact information for the Foundation’s list-serve database in Constant Contacts, including tracking and troubleshooting database analytics
- Provide general communications support to NYSHealth staff
- Help manage the Foundation’s archive of printed and electronic materials
- Liaise with vendors and process invoices as needed
- Assist with other projects as requested
Candidates are encouraged to describe their skill sets and experience in light of the above qualifications.
Send résumé and statement of interest to HR@nyshealth.org and include “Communications Intern” in the subject line.
NYSHealth seeks a graduate-level student pursuing a degree in journalism, health policy, public health, or a related field; undergraduate students need not apply. Potential candidate must have a strong commitment to NYSHealth’s mission and should possess excellent writing, analytical, research, and communication skills. In addition, the candidate must have the ability to multitask and to work both cooperatively and autonomously. Experience in public health, health policy, journalism, and/or website development is preferred.
Candidates with professional or academic editing experience are strongly preferred.
NYSHealth is committed to making the internship a learning experience by providing opportunities for the intern to participate in internal meetings, forums, and conferences that are appropriate for career development.
For more information, contact: