2016 Call for GIH Board Nominations
July 12, 2016
Nominations Due September 2
Grantmakers In Health (GIH), an educational organization serving staff, executives, and trustees of foundations and corporate giving programs working in the health field, is seeking nominations for its board of directors for terms beginning in March 2017.
The board seeks candidates who represent the diversity of the field across a variety of dimensions, including foundation size, foundation type, gender, geographic location, life experience, political ideology, professional skills, and race and ethnicity. Qualified candidates must be:
- committed to furthering the purposes of GIH;
- active members of the board or staff of a U.S. grantmaking organization in health philanthropy, or others whom the board believes can make a valuable contribution to the work of the organization; and
- over the age of 18.
Nominations of executives, senior staff, and trustees meeting these criteria are encouraged. Self-nominations are also welcome. Terms are for three years, with the possibility of renewal for a second term. There are three board meetings annually; regular attendance and committee service are expected.
Nominators should submit:
- a nomination form, which provides complete contact information for the nominee, nominator, and reference (in the case of a self-nomination), and
- a nominating letter, which presents the nominee’s defining characteristics, summarizes the nominee’s contribution to health philanthropy, and describes why the nominee would be a good addition to the GIH board.
Once a nomination has been submitted, GIH will contact each nominee and ask him or her to submit:
- a curriculum vitae or resume, and
- a letter of interest, which answers the following questions:
- What do you see as important issues facing health grantmakers in which GIH can play a role?
- What has been your past involvement with GIH?
- What skills, expertise, and knowledge would you bring to the board of GIH?
- What experiences as a member of other nonprofit boards would you bring to the board of GIH?
- Would your current role and schedule permit you to be an active member of the GIH board?
Please submit nomination forms and letters to Linda Tabach by email (email@example.com) or fax (202.452.8340) no later than Friday, September 2. The full board will consider nominations at its November 2016 meeting.
The nomination form and a description of the responsibilities of GIH board members are available below. Questions about the nomination process should be directed to Osula Evadne Rushing at 202.452.8331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board Nomination Form 2016
GIH Board Member Responsibilities 2016