Blue Cross NC Foundation
Durham, North Carolina
February 11, 2021
We’re seeking a communications professional to join our team – someone who can immediately make an impact by activating all aspects of communications to advance our work and that of our grantees. The right person will understand the roles that communications, language, and storytelling play in advancing social change; possess strong writing and project management skills; and share in our commitment to challenge inequity and break down barriers to good health for everyone in North Carolina.
The Communications Officer will work in partnership with our Communications Director, support all segments of the organization (program, learning and evaluation, operations), coordinate with outside agencies and vendors as needed, and engage with Blue Cross NC Foundation grantees and Blue Cross NC corporate communications.
What You’ll Do
Support ongoing and as needed communications
- Manage key reporting functions to our board of directors and other key audiences
- Develop content for use on social media, website, mass email distribution, presentations, and other vehicles
- Partner across the organization to translate and disseminate learning in ways that are accessible and useful to diverse audiences
- Ensure relevance and consistency of the Foundation’s voice by maintaining the organization’s Style Guide
- Partner with corporate communications within Blue Cross NC to elevate the Foundation and its work among all employees
- Create opportunities and respond to emerging needs as appropriate
Drive the Foundation’s online presence and social media strategy and execution
- Lead all aspects of the Foundation’s engagement on social media
- Contribute to maintaining and bolstering the Foundation’s website
- Serve as ‘managing editor’ of the Foundation’s blog, responsible for content strategy and development, including creating original content and coordinating with staff and key partners
Qualities We Love
- Willingness to embrace and work through challenges
- Desire to work on a team, with the ability to thrive independently
- Adept at balancing multiple priorities
- Ability to synthesize and communicate complex information
- Passion for continuous improvement, learning, and growth
- Sense of humor
- Committed to supporting success of the team, grantees, and other external partners
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years’ experience in communications, with a preference for experience working with nonprofits or other organizations advancing positive social change
- Strong writer who is able to work across platforms (traditional and digital) communicating for, and with, a variety of audiences
- Passion for working in the community and comfortable communicating with nonprofit leaders, community members, and statewide and local advocates
- Ability to prioritize and lead multiple bodies of work, build relationships with partners, and adhere to deadlines
- Please note the Foundation is currently implementing workplace and travel restrictions consistent with national and state guidance on COVID-19. Once we resume face-to-face work, this position will require the ability to travel as needed within North Carolina including weekly team meetings in Durham.
Additional Hiring Preferences
- Creative skills (i.e., experience with photo and/or design software)
- Photography and/or videography skills
- Bilingual, with preference for ability to communicate (written and oral) in Spanish
- Experience with data visualization software
- Experience with WordPress or similar web content management systems
At the end of your resume, please include a one paragraph statement of why you are a strong fit for the position (no cover letters please).
The posting will close at midnight on Monday, February 22.
Consistent with social distancing practices in place at Blue Cross NC, the interview and selection process will be conducted via video conference.
About the Organization
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation is a private, charitable foundation established as an independent entity by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina in 2000. Over the past two decades we have been honored to work with – and support – organizations, government entities, and community partnerships across the state; investing $150 million in North Carolina through more than 1,100 grants, collaborations, and special initiatives.
While our mission – to improve the health and well-being of everyone in North Carolina – has remained largely unchanged, our strategies and priorities have shifted over time, reflecting what we have learned about both our organization and what is happening around us. At our core, we are focused on investing in systemic changes that address key drivers of health. We also maintain a commitment to give voice to people at a local level and meet communities where they are.