Blue Cross NC Foundation
Durham, North Carolina
September 7, 2022
In this position you will be part of a dynamic and creative team committed to supporting organizations and leaders changing systems and conditions to improve health equity in North Carolina. Our ideal team member will thrive in and contribute to a collaborative environment, working cross-functionally alongside a diverse network of colleagues, grantees, and community partners to refine and implement our strategic and organizational approach.
This approach includes:
- Identifying and acting on inequities at the root-cause level, with an explicit focus on racial equity
- Amplifying community voice, and elevating the experience and wisdom of those who experience inequities
- Advancing health equity as a shared priority within our organization, grantee communities, and state
Our Operational Excellence team is the intersection between program and operations that allows the Foundation to have a more centralized, equity-focused, and collaborative approach to implementing grantmaking opportunities and other organizational priorities. To support our continued growth in this area, we are looking for a forward-thinking professional who is community-centric and eager to think big about all the ways we can take our grantmaking strategy and processes to the next level to further our mission.
The Grants Manager is entrusted with improving grantmaking systems and processes, leveraging data and insight, and building a culture that values the importance of efficient, flexible, and equitable grants management practices.
As a member of the Operational Excellence team, the Grants Manager plays a pivotal role in the implementation of strategies to deliver exceptional grantee experience. Success in this position requires a person who leads with a cross-functional and collaborative mindset, a client-service orientation, and a drive towards continuous process improvements with an eye toward change management.
Manage the operational components of the grantmaking practice.
- Provide leadership grounded in strategic and technical expertise to design and implement operational aspects of grants management reflecting our values and risk profile and ensuring compliance with all relevant policies and regulations.
- Serve as the key point of contact and provide expert consultation on all technical, operational, and administrative grants-related issues.
- Plan and execute the operational implementation of grantmaking opportunities (i.e., RFPs) and other processes to achieve organizational priorities and promote effectiveness of the team.
- Maintain a good overview of all grantmaking opportunities and other programmatic work to support inclusive practices and optimize the flow of work, resources, and deliverables across program areas.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for the Grant Management System (GMS), manage all GMS processes, workflows, and training and responsible for data integrity to promote organizational learning and accountability.
- Provide coaching and training across the organization to fully utilize technology.
Lead internally and externally to promote equitable and exceptional experience for applicants and grantees.
- Use learning and data-driven practices to ensure the grantmaking practice follows an equity-centric approach and delivers a smooth, unfragmented, and consistent experience for applicants and grantees across all touchpoints and at all stages of their journey.
- Work directly with applicants and grantees to respond to inquiries, provide technical support and efficient problem-solving, and facilitate the grant process in partnership with others on the team.
- Develop and manage processes to respond to unsolicited requests.
- Develop and Implement feedback loops and other learning practices to inform the design of new grantmaking opportunities and improvement of the overall experience of applicants and grantees.
- Develop and coordinate grantee learning opportunities (e.g., grantee-focused workshops, convenings, newsletters, and events) and ensure we are consistently delivering on our values, with specific attention to equity.
Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement within the organization and in the field to enhance grantee experience and increase impact.
- Monitor and assess grants management trends, data, research best practices, and work to ensure the grantmaking processes are streamlined, effective, and strategic.
- Develop and implement analysis protocols for grants data to generate insights and support the development of new programmatic and operational strategies, based on organizational priorities.
- Collaborate with the team to have systems in place to learn from the work, elevate lessons learned as appropriate, and connect the dots between different evaluation work.
- Build internal buy-in and support for necessary changes to address emerging needs and context to both flexibly design and adapt grantmaking and other support for stronger impact and organizational effectiveness.
- Make contributions to the field and represent the Foundation in the sector by sharing our practices.
Qualities We Love
- Technological savvy that supports organizational productivity and efficiency.
- Highly collaborative with leadership, project management, and organizational skills; attention to detail and ability to lead a team through complex process flows.
- Identifies and supports activities with an “all-hands-on-deck” spirit.
- Effective communicator, customer service oriented, and ability to think and act simultaneously at a macro and tactical level.
- Ability to delegate, influence outcomes, and provide feedback in a positive and constructive manner without a direct supervisory relationship.
- Committed to supporting success of the team, grantees, and other external partners.
- Bilingual (English-Spanish) preferred for written and verbal communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5 years’ experience in grants management, with a strong preference for experience working with a grantmaking organization.
- Extensive experience with grants management software. Preference in Blackbaud Grantmaking software knowledge.
- Passion for working in the community and comfortable communicating with nonprofit leaders, community members, and other stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills, and a proven ability to manage multiple priorities, cross-functional teams, bodies of work, stakeholders, and deadlines.
- Understanding of continuous improvement concepts and lean methodologies. Experience using process mapping tools (e.g., MS Visio)
Applications must be submitted via the Blue Cross NC Careers Page Listing.
Submit your resume along with a single paragraph explanation of why you are a strong candidate for this position. Please do not submit a cover letter; the required paragraph is in lieu of a letter.
About the Organization
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation is a private, charitable foundation established as an independent entity by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina in 2000. Over the past two decades, the organization has worked with – and supported – nonprofit organizations, government entities, and community partnerships across the state, investing $190 million into North Carolina through nearly 1,300 grants, collaborations, and special initiatives. Within its focus areas of early childhood, healthy communities, healthy food, and oral health, the Foundation strives to address the key drivers of health, taking a flexible approach designed to meet identified needs in partnership with the community.