Health Foundation of South Florida
August 12, 2020
Currently, The Health Foundation of South Florida is embarking on a search to find their next President & CEO to lead them through an exciting time of transition. After many successful years of operating as a focused grant making organization, through the re-development of their strategic plan, the foundation is seeking to create a more robust, long-term impact investing strategy in the community while addressing the social determinants of health among its constituents. They have created clear goals to improve healthcare access, availability and utilization among the uninsured and underserved. Additionally, they are seeking to advance a system of health that integrates social needs and clinical care. Lastly, foster a thriving community by improving the social and economic conditions that promote good health.
StevenDouglas has been exclusively retained to lead the search for the Health Foundation of South Florida.
- Establish an effective working relationship with the Board as thought partners, gaining their confidence and bringing forth their best ideas and efforts; ensure clear communication between Board and staff
- Develop and execute the vision with the Board for how best to invest the Foundation’s resources to maximize impact by improving the lives of those in the south Florida communities
- Present budgets for Board approval and manage within the financial and programmatic parameters established by the Board; participate in the Foundation’s investment meetings.
- Lead a talented and dedicated staff; build strong relationships with the staff and work closely with them to foster cohesiveness; set benchmarks with staff and hold them accountable; provide professional development opportunities for staff to enhance their abilities.
- Conduct a comprehensive strategic plan to set priorities, focus energy and resources, strengthen operations, and ensure that all are working toward common goals around intended outcomes.
- Understand and support the Foundation’s history, mission, values, culture, programs, constituencies, and infrastructure; with the Board, ensure as smooth an executive leadership transition as possible, following the tenure of a long-term leader.
Ideal Candidate Profile & Experiences:
The ideal candidate expected to bring demonstrated achievement and accomplishment in current and/or past positions, and bring fresh, forward thinking ideas to the table through past experiences and research available to them. The President & CEO should have a strong passion and commitment to a value-based, mission driven organization. He or she should bring some “entrepreneurial” spirit to the table to create new areas for opportunity and investment. In specific, the follow experiences and qualities are critical to success:
- A strong understanding (or ability to learn) of the needs and nuances of the south Florida community, particularly Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties
- Ability to build strong, strategic relationships within the local community including but not limited to nonprofits, businesses, healthcare, state & local government and other key stakeholders across a culturally and economically diverse south Florida
- A thoughtful, values-driven approach to the role of philanthropy; an ability to use the tools of philanthropy beyond grant dollars to maximize the contribution of the Foundation community groups.
- Proven record as an effective face of the organization and spokesman who can raise the visibility of the Foundation
- Bachelor’s Degree required (MBA or advanced education preferred)
If you would like more information regarding this search, please contact Matthew Beck, Senior Vice President of StevenDouglas at email@example.com and Jaime Milner, Manager of Executive Search at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization
The Health Foundation of South Florida, based in Miami FL, was established in 1993 after the sale of Cedars Medical Center Foundation. The foundation was created as a grant making organization to support and improve the health and well-being of the people of Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe counties. Their mission is to invest in and be a catalyst for collaboration, policy and systems change that improve the health of south Florida communities with a focus on vulnerable, low to moderate-income population. Since 1993, the foundation has awarded nearly $135mm to nonprofits and approved over $8mm in grants in 2019
Matthew Beck <email@example.com>
Senior Vice President at StevenDouglas
Jaime Milner <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Manager of Executive Search at StevenDouglas