Mother Cabrini Health Foundation
New York City, New York
May 16, 2023
The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation seeks Program Officer candidates with experience in grantmaking and/or direct program experience within the healthcare or social services fields related to our Programs and/or our priority populations.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Programs, Program Officers support the development and execution of grant strategies within the Foundation’s Program areas. Program Officers are responsible for analyzing grant applications solicited through open requests for proposals and by invitation and for developing and maintaining relationships with a diverse set of grantees. Reporting to Senior Program Officers, Program Officers are highly collaborative, excellent communicators, have a learning mindset, and are capable of building effective relationships with grantees and colleagues in the Foundation’s grants management, evaluation & learning, and community relations teams.
This is a full-time exempt position that works in the Foundation’s headquarters in New York City. The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation expects to offer a compensation package for this role that includes salary in the range of $130,000-$160,000; health care and dental insurance—100% covered for the employee; retirement plan with up to 12% employer contribution; employer-paid group life insurance; 24-weeks of paid parental leave following the birth, adoption, or placement of a child; optional flexible spending plans for healthcare, parking, transit, dependent care; corporate discounts; and personal time off (PTO) initial allotment of four weeks of vacation (growing to five weeks of vacation after three years of employment), all Federal holidays, plus another two+ weeks of PTO for sick or personal use.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Grantmaking – Analyze proposals and recommend grants to support the Foundation’s mission.
- Manage relationships with potential and current grantees.
- Identify potential new partnerships and opportunities for the Foundation’s grantmaking.
- Evaluate grant proposals and perform due diligence to ensure completeness and determine alignment with the Foundation’s goals.
- Liaise with applicants and grantees to support the grant application and implementation process.
- Write grant recommendations for presentation to the Foundation’s Board of Directors
- Monitor grantee progress toward objectives through site visits, calls, and other communications.
- Evaluate grant reports and recommend grant modifications as necessary.
- Work with the Evaluation & Learning Department to support evaluation of grantmaking activities.
Field Knowledge – Maintain a working knowledge of leading issues relevant to the Foundation’s priority giving areas to best support its grantmaking.
- Support the development and execution of strategic giving priorities, including ongoing analysis of community need and philanthropic opportunities.
- Attend conferences, funder briefings, community meetings, and other events in fields relevant to the Foundation’s grantmaking.
- Contribute to the ongoing learning and development of the Program team through special projects and assignments as needed.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the Mother Cabrini Health Foundation.
- Intellectual agility and ability to analyze, think critically, and understand complex social issues.
- Flexibility and comfort in a start-up environment where programs and processes are still being developed.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, both internally and externally.
- Proven skills regarding organization and time management.
- Exceptional attention to detail, even while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in working independently while contributing to team goals.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and follow through to effectively manage work and meet multiple deadlines.
- Motivated and results oriented.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience in grantmaking and/or nonprofit sector program management, with a preference for a strong understanding of philanthropy related to the Foundation’s Programs: Access to Healthcare, Basic Needs, Mental & Behavioral Health, and Healthcare Workforce.
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate work and/or graduate degree in related field is desirable.
- Experience with grantmaking and/or grants administration as a grantee and relationship management in a variety of fields and constituencies is preferred.
- Experience with organizing and building a grantmaking portfolio, reaching conclusions and developing recommendations is preferred.
- Experience with grants management software is preferred.
- Excellent Microsoft Office Skills (especially Excel and PowerPoint) is a plus.
Conditions and Requirements
The Foundation will provide any reasonable accommodation required to perform essential duties of this role.
- Prolonged periods of working on a computer.
- Working in a high-rise office environment for all or most of the scheduled work week.
- Employees of are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
- Offers of employment are contingent on clear results of a thorough background check.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Please submit updated resume to our job portal; a cover letter is a plus.
EEO and Diversity Statements
The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind. MCHF is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, discipline, terminations, layoff, leaves of absence, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. All employment decisions at MCHF are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, family or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. MCHF will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation is committed to diversity and encourages applicants of all ages and backgrounds. Members of underrepresented communities are especially encouraged to apply. MCHF is also committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, MCHF will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Organization
The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation is one of the largest foundations in the United States and the largest foundation focused exclusively on New York State. Formed in 2018 by the sale of the Legacy Fidelis New York Medicaid Health Plan, the Mother Cabrini Health Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation and private foundation with a mission to improve the health of underserved New Yorkers, bolster the health outcomes of diverse communities, and enhance access to affordable healthcare and healthcare-related services across the state.
Since its inception, the Mother Cabrini Health Foundation has made over 2,200 grants, totaling approximately $635 million, to non-profits, community-based organizations, and healthcare and social services providers to address gaps in care and serve vulnerable New Yorkers. While the Foundation operates in accordance with the ethical principles, tenets, and teachings of the Roman Catholic faith, it exists to help those of all faiths or no faith at all.
Debbie Farrell <email@example.com>
no phone calls please