New York State Health Foundation
Manhattan, New York
November 6, 2019
Launched in 2016, the Empowering Health Care Consumers priority area is focused on amplifying the voice of the health care consumer and increasing the information and tools available so that patients are active participants in their own health and health care and have a seat at the table to help drive and inform decisions that affect health care. This priority area has two core strategies: (1) Promoting Information Transparency and (2) Engaging Patients as Partners in Health Care Decision-Making.
Supporting the Vice President for Programs, the Program Officer will work as part of a team to assist in the implementation of the Empowering Health Care Consumers priority area. This position is ideal for a creative and strategic thinker who can contribute to the further refinement of this priority area. The Program Officer will be responsible for managing programs and grants; reviewing proposals; and making grantmaking recommendations to the Vice President for Programs and other senior staff. The Program Officer will also be expected to represent the Foundation at meetings and conferences throughout New York State and nationally, as well as organize and facilitate NYSHealth convenings in support of the Empowering Health Care Consumers priority area. The Program Officer will help develop external relationships that advance the portfolio’s work with thought leaders, key stakeholders, and policymakers.
Reports to: Vice President for Programs
Salary and benefits: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer excellent benefits, including paid health and dental insurance, generous retirement plan, reimbursement for wellness activities, and a free monthly MetroCard.
- Support the Vice President for Programs and collaborate with the Empowering Health Care Consumers team in developing strategic grantmaking opportunities for the priority area.
- Develop, cultivate, and implement ideas for projects and initiatives.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of annual program goals and strategies.
- Lead and facilitate meetings with grantees, conduct site visits, review grantee submissions, and track grantee performance. Work with grantees to identify potential enhancements to project development and ensure that contractual objectives are met.
- Work with grantees to identify and lead efforts to help leverage the Foundation’s resources and develop opportunities to partner with other private and public funders.
- Prepare and present written proposal summaries for various levels of the grant review process and provide recommendations to senior staff and review panels.
- Respond to public inquiries about the Empowering Health Care Consumers priority area and the application process. Work to disseminate and communicate the Foundation’s goals and objectives and its grantmaking results.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with stakeholders, policymakers, community members, researchers, and others to support program development and implementation.
- Convene grantees, stakeholders, and policymakers to advance program development and implementation, as appropriate.
- Contribute to quality improvement and learning within the Foundation, including facilitating internal communication and evaluation to inform future program development and grantmaking.
- Participate in conferences, seminars, and other professional development activities to maintain and enhance expertise and professional status.
- Contribute to the NYSHealth website by identifying relevant grantee materials to be posted to the Empowering Health Care Consumers area of the site.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Reporting to the Vice President for Programs, the Program Officer will work collaboratively with the Empowering Health Care Consumers team as well as across the Foundation’s other program areas to advance shared goals, and will play a key role in strategic thinking, generating project ideas/initiatives and partnership development. The Program Officer is also expected to coordinate with communications, policy and research, and grants management staff.
Required Experience and Qualifications: The Program Officer must have a graduate degree in health, public health, public policy, or a relevant discipline.
Other qualifications include:
- Superb project management and organizational skills. Fine attention to detail and follow-through, including management of paper flow and time.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytic abilities, including clear judgment and creative thinking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: collegial; energetic; and able to develop productive relationships with colleagues, grantees, consultants, and others who contribute to program development and management. Works well with and welcomes opportunities to work across diverse cultures.
- Demonstrated maturity and seasoned judgment. Ability to make decisions, justify recommendations, and be responsive and clear with Foundation applicants.
- Experience with engaging and collaborating with business and community leaders and other partners in program work.
- Ability to travel for site visits and to represent the Foundation at outside meetings.
- Foundation/grantmaking experience is highly desirable, but not required.
Preferred Qualifications: Preference will be given to candidates with content knowledge and experience in the consumer empowerment arena, either in a health care, health policy, or consumer advocacy setting. For example:
- Knowledge of patient/consumer engagement, as well as person-centered care frameworks, policies, and interventions.
- Understanding of policies and best practices regarding issues such as price and quality transparency and shared decision-making.
- Working knowledge of (and/or connections with) New York State and/or national patient-centered care/consumer advocacy organizations.
Candidates are encouraged to describe their skill sets and experience in light of the above qualifications.
Send résumé, statement of interest, and salary expectations to HR@nyshealth.org and include “Program Officer” in the subject line.
About the Organization
If you want to make a meaningful difference in the health and lives of New Yorkers, the New York State Health Foundation may be the right place for you. The Program Officer position is an ideal fit for a candidate who is mission-oriented, strategic, creative, and collaborative, and who cares deeply about making the health care system work better for patients and their families. In this role, you will join our dedicated staff in a collegial atmosphere and work with grantees and partners to advance our work to empower health care consumers.
The New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) is a private, statewide foundation dedicated to improving the health of all New Yorkers, especially the most vulnerable. NYSHealth began operations in 2006; today, it has approximately $275 million in assets, a $15 million annual grants and operations budget, and a staff of 24. The Foundation is committed to making grants, but also to making a difference beyond grant dollars: informing health care policy and practice; spreading effective programs to improve the health system; serving as a convener of health leaders across the State; and providing technical assistance to grantees and partners. Today, the Foundation concentrates most of its initiatives in two strategic priority areas: building healthy communities and empowering health care consumers.
The New York State Health Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and values having a diverse staff. Employment opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.