Tracking the Field
- Behavioral Health Funding Infographic and Directory
August 10, 2017
GIH’s latest survey report highlights current trends and gaps in behavioral health philanthropy. GIH surveyed Funding Partners in March 2017 about investments in mental health, substance use, trauma, and other behavioral health issues.
- Update from the Field: Results of Grantmakers In Health’s 2015 Survey of Foundations Formed from Health Care Conversions
May 31, 2017
Results of Grantmakers In Health’s 2015 Survey of Foundations Formed from Health Care Conversions
- Policy Engagement by Local Health Funders
August 26, 2016
Policies made at the local level have a tremendous influence on people’s health. Our new publication explores how health funders inform and influence local policy decisions that play a critical role in shaping community health and well-being.
- Behavioral Health Survey Results
August 4, 2015
GIH surveyed our Funding Partners about their behavioral health focus areas, strategies, and target populations, and compiled the results into summary charts and a funder directory.
- Beyond Grantmaking: Health Foundations as Policy Change Agents
March 3, 2015
Funded by the Missouri Foundation for Health, this report seeks to help the field of health philanthropy maximize its strategic potential and minimize the difficulties inherent in taking on new roles by both describing ways funders are directly engaging in policy change efforts and distilling the key lessons learned from these experiences.
- Foundation Strategies to Promote Healthy Eating and Active Living
March 5, 2014
Growing recognition of the nation’s obesity epidemic and its profound impact on population health has led an increasing number of health funders to identify the promotion of healthy eating and active living (HEAL) as a strategic priority. GIH conducted this scan of the field to gain a clearer understanding of health foundations’ strategic approach to HEAL.
- A Profile of Foundations Created from Health Care Conversions
June 9, 2009
This report is the tenth in the GIH series that tracks and reports on the emergence and activities of health foundations formed from transactions involving hospitals, health plans, or health systems. The survey of foundations created from health care conversions collects basic information regarding the year of transaction, geographic location, assets, tax status, and focus of grantmaking.
- Effects of the Economic Crisis on Health Foundations
May 11, 2009
To learn how health foundations are responding to the current economic crisis, Grantmakers In Health surveyed the field at the end of 2008. The survey sought information on how health foundation assets and grantmaking budgets have been affected, the strategies health foundations are using to support grantees, and how foundations are addressing their own financial challenges.
- Connecting to Community and Building Accountability
January 14, 2008
Foundations formed from health care conversions are very much engaged with their communities and seek their involvement in program planning and priority setting, according to a new report from Grantmakers In Health (GIH). The findings in Connecting to Community and Building Accountability reveal that the majority of health foundations promote some kind of community input in their work, although most are not required to do so.
- The Business of Giving: Governance and Asset Management in Foundations Formed From Health Care Conversion
March 1, 2005
This report looks at the composition and function of boards of directors in foundations formed from health care conversions, as well as how the foundations manage the investment of their assets. This report is the latest in GIH's series of reports on these foundations. Findings show that foundations formed from health care conversions have strong structures in place to guide their grantmaking and other activities, as well as the prudent management of their assets.
- A Profile of New Health Foundations
May 29, 2003
- A Profile of New Health Foundations, March 2001
March 16, 2001
- Tracking Foundations Created from Conversions
February 8, 2001
Since 1980, more than 170 foundations have been created as the result of the conversion of nonprofit hospitals, health plans, and health systems. GIH periodically surveys these organizations to learn about their grantmaking and operations.
- Philanthropy's Newest Members: Findings from the 1999 Survey of New Health Foundations
March 1, 2000
- Coming of Age: Findings from the 1998 Survey of Foundations Created by Health Care Conversions
February 1, 1999
- Health Care Conversion Foundations: 1997 Status Report
October 1, 1997
October 1997. Call GIH to request this publication.
- The New "Conversion" Health Foundations: Preliminary Results of Grantmakers In Health Survey
April 1, 1996
April 1996. Call GIH to request this publication.