GIH Disparities Audioconference Series
July 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm Eastern/12:00 pm Central/11:00 am Mountain/10:00 am Pacific
- Mirtha Beadle, Deputy Director, Office of Minority Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Jamie Hart, Director, Knowledge Transfer and Technical Assistance Practice Area, Altarum Institute
- Kien Lee, Principal Associate/Vice President, Community Science
- David R. Williams, Florence and Laura Norman Professor of Public Health at the Harvard School of Public Health
The National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities (NPA) was developed with the mission of mobilizing and connecting individuals and organizations across the country to create a nation in which all people have a chance to reach their full health potential. The NPA represents a critical step forward in combating health disparities by bringing together multisectoral stakeholders whose work influences health, either directly or indirectly.
As part of the NPA, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released two companion documents designed to guide implementation and collaboration through the NPA. National Stakeholder Strategy for Achieving Health Equity serves as a roadmap for increasing the effectiveness and strength of programs. Its purpose is to guide stakeholders at the federal, regional, state, and local levels in adopting the most effective goals, strategies, and action steps for their communities. HHS Action Plan for Reducing Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities builds upon the Affordable Care Act’s efforts to transform health care. It also seeks to support efforts to strengthen the health workforce, promote healthy behaviors and strengthen community-based programs, advance knowledge and innovation, and increase HHS’ ability to address health disparities and ensure health equity. This webinar provided an overview of the NPA, including discussions regarding how philanthropic organizations can engage with other entities and sectors through the NPA for greater collective impact on achieving health equity.
Below are links to information about the NPA and the plans that were discussed:
- Office of Minority Health Presentation – Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, 1469 KB