Foundation Operations: Board Issues-> Board Orientation Manual Contents
What should go into a board orientation manual?
A board manual can be a useful reference tool, particularly as an orientation tool for new board members. The contents of a board manual may vary by foundation. Above all, materials should give board members a comprehensive, yet concise, overview of the foundation and their roles and responsibilities. A comprehensive board manual may include the following materials:
- Written history of the foundation
- Mission and vision
- Staff list or organizational chart
- Articles of incorporation
- Grantmaking guidelines
- Current strategic plan
- Recent annual report
- Calendar of upcoming events
- List of board members with contact information
- Board member profiles and terms
- Statement of responsibilities
- Committee assignments and descriptions
Policies for Board Members
- Meeting minutes
- Meeting process
- Consent calendar
- Role of board in grantmaking procedures
Finance and Investments
The board manual should considered a working document and should be updated annually.
BoardSource offers a useful guide to compiling a board manual.