Cosponsored by the Health and Environment Funders Network
According to a recent global survey of 10,000 young people ages 16 to 24, 47 percent said climate anxiety interferes with their daily lives, and one in four do not want to have children because of their worries about the climate crisis. A 2023 survey by Blue Shield of California showed that 68 percent of young people said that climate change negatively impacts their mental health.
During this interactive conversation with mental health experts, Gen Z, and climate-mental health advocates, speakers shared the latest research on the impacts of climate change and mental health on young people and the disproportionate impacts on Black, Indigenous, and people of color. The field leaders also discuss the political and cultural dimensions of the foundation community addressing this emergent public health issue.
Speakers included moderator Heather White, Founder and CEO of OneGreenThing; Sarah Newman, Founder and Executive Director of Climate Mental Health Network; Dr. Ben Liu of Climate Psychiatry Alliance and Scientific Advisor of Climate Mental Health Network; Tamara Toles O’Laughlin, Founder of Climate Critical Earth; and Maya Penn, Board Member of OneGreenThing and a Gen Z activist and filmmaker.
Participants learned a better understanding of the need to address climate mental health, knowledge of existing community programs, and materials available for teachers, mental health professionals, and parents as they navigate eco-anxiety.
Webinar PowerPoint: HEFN & GMIH
Helpful resources shared by the speakers and mentioned in the webinar:
- Alliance Magazine Op-Ed: Funders must help youth respond to climate change
- Atmos: The Environmental Movement Faces Burnout. This Woman Wants to Repair That
- Climate Mental Health Network: Gen Z Mental Health: Climate Stories Film
- Climate Mental Health Network: Climate Change and Youth Mental Health Report
- Climate Critical Earth Burnout report: https://www.climatecritical.earth/report
- Climate Psychiatry Alliance: Climate Distress Coping Toolkit
- Climate Psychiatry Alliance: Website, Instagram, X (Twitter)
- COP: The COP President’s Declaration on climate and health
- One Green Thing: Ancestor Pledge How do you want to be remembered?
- One Green Thing: Superpower Assessment: OGT Service Superpower Assessment
- One Green Thing- TEDX talk: Think Like An Awesome Ancestor: A Daily Practice to Ease Eco-Anxiety
- One Green Thing: Heather White’s eco-anxiety book: One Green Thing: Discover Your Hidden Power to Help Save the Planet (Harper Collins 2022)
- Substack: Reckoning with racism as a multiplier of climate burnout: A conversation with the founder of Climate Critical Earth
- The Coolest Show: Care to Repair Podcast
- The Coolest Show: Community Healing from Climate Burnout
- The Coolest Show: The legacy of Burnout with Peggy Shepard
- The Coolest Show: Youth recovering from climate burnout